Last week I wrote a piece about setting the categories and tags for your posts which help the WordPress reader put your post into the correct place thus helping people to find your blog. This week I read a great piece about how to get your blog noticed by Google.
This is definitely something that I have investigated before, but like many things, it slipped off my radar slightly more recently. Another name for this is SEO (Search Engine Optimisation). This term often results in people rolling their eyes and quickly changing the subject. (I have dismissed it in the past). It needn’t be like that really. You are probably already doing most of them:
- Write relevant content with well-chosen tags (not too many).
- Write a tag line that correctly reflects the content on your blog. (Google uses this to work out what your blog is about).
- Write regular posts or updates on your blog or website. (This allows Google to see that it is an active site).
- Use Key Words sensibly through your post. You really don’t need to think too much about this as if you are writing great content then you are most likely already doing it. When you are writing a post you need to think about what people would use to search for your piece and then use them sensibly throughout. If, for example I am writing about a beaded necklace that I had made I would ensure that I use this phrase in my post. See – easy as that. Don’t use it too many times however as Google will pick up on it and disregard it (It will also not read very well thus turning people away from your blog!)
- Use Post slugs: (yes I know this is new to me too!!) This is the bit at the end of the posts URL. It can be changed to make it more applicable at any time. On WordPress when you are writing a new post the slug can be found under the title at the end of the
. WordPress will put the title in. You can have any title as long as you make the slug relevant to your title. Thus my slug for this post will be Blog SEO. Short and to the point!
You can also use Google Analytics for more detailed information and I shall attempt to write a piece about this next week so look out for that.
I am now going to change my slug for this post (or try to!).
Happy Blogging 🙂