There are some projects that constantly test you, one minute you think that you have got the idea and everything is fine but the next everything seems to come crashing down around you. This is definitely one of these projects.
I started off thinking that it was doable only to abandon it completely the next day.
My first attempt.
I started again, thought that I had mastered it …. until I made a mistake. It got left for another week before I started again, taking it back a few rows before starting again. This time I decided to show the beads exactly who is BOSS! I tightened my tension and all was going well until I realised that I had added in an extra bit. It got abandoned again!
My second attempt!
Can you see where I tightened the tension? (To the left – the beads sit up better) This is still not right as I have added an extra bit so will have to take it back….again!
This is one project where I shall not be beaten. I shall complete it. It is not that complicated – I am just being a bit dumb and it is taking at least twice as long as it should!
Here is how it is done:
Add a stop bead followed by an O bead and a size 15. Take the needle back through the o bead to hold it in place.
Add on 4 size 11 seed beads, a 15, an o and another 15 seed bead. Again go back through the o bead.
Repeat the last step twice more.
Add 4 size 11, 1 size 15, 1 o, 1 size 15. Go through the o again and then add 4 size 11. Miss one o and then go up through the bottom of the next 15, o, 15 and then back down through the o and 15.
The last step is the basis of the rest of the pattern.
It is growing, although very slowly. I am now going to have to work out what to do with the ‘first’ bit…
See not at all complicated really. Keep your eye’s peeled for the finished bracelet. It will be done – promise.
I have worked on another of my items from my to – do list…..working with beads without holes or cabochon’s. I found these amazing beads called luna soft cabochon.
They almost seem to have a light inside them (they don’t photograph that well). As there is no hole in them you have to make a ‘case’ for them using seed beads. To be honest, my first attempt is not quite what I was hoping for but I did learn the name for beading techniques along the way.
I started off with a ladder weave:
I then added in some tiny size 15 seed beads.
Next a bit of tubular herringbone stitch.
This time tubular herringbone stitch with three seed beads.
A final row of size 11 seed beads finishes this side off.
I now need to finish off the bottom row.
My finished cabochon. It is a bit too enclosed for m liking but it is a start and is something that I can work on.
I then decided to have another go, using a slightly different technique this time….more beading techniques learnt. 🙂
This time I started with a right angle weave stitch.
Next I added a row of beads in between the top beads from the previous row.
I then added a tiny size 15 seed bead in between each of these beads. This was the top half completed.
This is the finished item.
I have to say I am really pleased with this. I think that I will make it into a ring. I will be making more of these, that is for sure.
A ring of beads
Adding another bead in between each of the beads from the first row.
My jewellery making has taken a bit of a back seat recently. I am hoping that this is all about to change. Last months challenge over at Spoilt Rotten beads involved the use of twin beads. These are beads that have 2 holes in them. This obviously opens a lot more options. The first piece I made was this bracelet:
I really like the construction of this bangle style bracelet. It look complicated but was relatively easy to do. You just had to find a rhythm.
The next piece I made took me nearly the whole month. It was made in sections:
These are then join together to make the item of jewellery.
What I really like about this design is the 3D nature of it. It was fairly fiddly at times but I am pleased with the finished bracelet.
I made a bracelet.
I think that it was worth the effort.
Once I had finished this I went into slight overdrive!
I think this looks very Egyptian.
Although I made it as a bracelet I think it would look really lovely as a necklace. It is not at all hard and works up quite quickly.
You may well notice that I have yet to add a clasp. I am waiting to go shopping to find the perfect one!
Finally, I have a WIP.
This is slightly more fiddly….
I am not sure on my colour choice but we shall see….I need to work on finding the correct technique!
Still one and a bit in one day beats a whole month!