I made a real meal out of my latest crochet project. I managed to make a couple of evenings work (at the most) last about a month! No joke.
It all started with this lovely pattern:
Source – Thanks to notsogranny
Notsogranny posted it on Facebook where my sister-in-law saw it. She asked how hard it was and I immediately saw a solution to the what-shall-buy problem and offered to make it for her.
I duly set off and bought some lovely yarn and a sparkling new hook. (I had a hook but wanted to treat myself!) As it was a hat the tension was not important and so I didn’t bother with a tension square.
Mistake Number 1!
All was going well until Joanne pointed out that it looked like a child’s version. Just to be clear here my sister-in-law is not a child!. Luckily I had 2 skeins and so was able to start again without ripping back. I did a quick measure of tension and, surprise, surprise found out that it was far too tight. I figured that I really needed to go up a full hook size. Unfortunately I didn’t have one and so went up half a size and made a real effort to keep the tension loose. (Bang went my lovely new hook :()
This went well except that now the brim was……wait for it……too big!.
Mistake number 2
This was ripped back again. I went back to the original hook and re-did it. This time it was perfect 🙂
In case you are wondering this is not a difficult pattern and I do urge you to have a go. It is really wearable and looks fab on. Perfect for the current cold snap we are having.
I will definitely be taking the time to swatch in the future!